When you track conversions you necessarily need to place a conversion code snippet (also known as conversion pixel) in the thank-you page. This is the page just after the conversion happens, where, usually, you say thank you to your lead or customer or subscriber. In the Specific case of the opt-ins market it is the page the visitor see just after he leave you his email and click the button.
The tracking code must be there because it tells to the tracking software the conversion happened. This is the standard way to track conversions is a technique used by the large majority of tracking and advertising systems and by all the most famous of them.
- The Thank you page is not the Landing page. The landing page is the place where your tracking link redirect the visitors, is the squeeze page, the page where you collect the email. The thank you page is the page just after the moment the email has been collected.
- Be sure the conversion code that is in your thank you page is the same you associated to the tracking link.
You can create just one conversion code and use it in all your thank you pages and with all you tracking links.
- How to create a conversion code (video)
- What is Conversion Tracking?
- How to add conversion code in some opt-ins services (thank you page you do not own)